Wednesday, December 15, 2010

New Ice Climbing Website: ClimbCatskillIce.com

It's been pretty frigid in the New York City area these last few weeks, which has got me thinking about ice climbing.  I have very little experience in it and I don't own the gear, but I'm eager to get out a few times this winter.  Given how cold it is all this week, there might be some good lines in this weekend in the the Catskills and the 'Dacks. 

It has just come to my attention that there's a brand new website dedicated to ice climbing in the Catskills:  ClimbCatskillIce.com.  In addition to regular conditions updates (which you can also find at the Alpine Endeavors website and on NEIce.com's forums), the creator of the site is adding guidebook features including topos to the most popular ice climbing areas.  It looks like a site worth watching, and I'm adding it to my list of links over on the right side of my page.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the plug! Yes, it's true - We started climbcatskillice.com in 2010 to share route information for the Catskills. The Cats are an amazing place to climb, but with the growing popularity of the sport, the usual areas are have been getting pretty beat out. So we are spreading the word about alternative climbing areas. We've posted route beta on over 30 climbs in 3 areas that have never before been published. The Cats' have tons of climbing and we're on a mission to educate. See you on the ice!

    ReplyDelete